Telegram has had an option to send ephemeral messages in its encrypted Secret Chat mode since 2013.
Last year, it rolled out a new timer feature — that could be enabled for either 24 hours or 7 days — to auto-delete messages for all Telegram chats.
Over the weekend, the app updated this function to allow a custom auto-delete timer for all conversations. Plus, unlike the previous version, it doesn’t require you to delete chat history on the Android app.
Before you use this feature, make sure to update your Telegram app.
Here’s how to use it:
- Open the Telegram app on your phone.
- Go to the chat for which you want to activate the auto-delete option.
- Tap on the contact banner.
- Tap on the three-dot menu. This is available on the top-right corner of the screen on Android, and under the more option on iOS.
- Tap on the Enable Auto-Delete (iOS)/ Auto-Delete (Android) option, and select a pre-set timer.
- You can also select a custom timeframe, which ranges from one day to one year.
Once you enable this option, all your future messages under the conversation will be automatically deleted after the specified time.
Notably, for groups, only admins can enable this option.
While you’re at it, you might want to check out our guide on sending disappearing messages on all chat apps. Happy worry-free messaging.
Get the TNW newsletter
Get the most important tech news in your inbox each week.