Get your Business passes to TNW Conference 2024 🎟️ Buy now →

This article was published on July 6, 2021

EV hypercar startup Rimac swallows Bugatti to become… BUGATTI RIMAC

Well, that's quite of a match

EV hypercar startup Rimac swallows Bugatti to become… BUGATTI RIMAC

We’ve already been blown away by Rimac’s breathtaking Nevera, the all-electric hypercar that goes 0-60mph in just 1.85 second. But here’s another bombshell from the Croatian automaker…

Rimac announced on Monday that it’s taking over the 110-year-old Bugatti brand from Volkswagen to form a joint venture, called Bugatti Rimac. And if that’s not the best match in the automotive world, I don’t know what is. Seriously.

Bugatti and Rimac will form a new joint venture.
Credit: Bugatti Rimac
The Bugatti Chiron and the Rimac Nevera side by side — that’s a beautiful sight!

Rimac’s new shareholder structure

This has brought some changes to the overall shareholder arrangement.

First, there’s the newly-formed Rimac Group, led by Mate Rimac with a 37% share, and co-owned by VW’s Porsche unit with 24%, Hyundai with 12%, and other investors with 27%.

The <3 of EU tech

The latest rumblings from the EU tech scene, a story from our wise ol' founder Boris, and some questionable AI art. It's free, every week, in your inbox. Sign up now!

As part of the deal, the Rimac Group will be the major shareholder of Bugatti Rimac with a 55% stake. The remaining 45% will be held by Porsche, which means that Volkswagen isn’t folding completely.

And there’s the Rimac Technology division, an offshoot of the original company, which will focus on the development, production, and supply of battery systems, drivetrains, and other EV components. It will also be 100% retained by the Rimac Group. 

The Rimac Group will be the major shareholder of the new venture.f
Credit: Bugatti Rimac
Rimac’s new shareholder structure.

What’s the outlook

According to the company’s announcement, both brands will continue to operate independently, maintaining existing production facilities and distribution channels. Rimac’s production will, therefore, remain in Zagreb, Croatia, and Bugatti’s in Molsheim, France.

Nevertheless, Bugatti Rimac’s global headquarters will, in time, be situated in the recently announced Rimac Campus, which will open in 2023.  The campus will serve as the base for all research and development of future Rimac and Bugatti hypercars. 

Mate Rimac himself, who will run both Bugatti Rimac and Rimac Technology, commented:

We have just launched our latest hypercar — the Nevera — to universal global acclaim. So I can’t begin to tell you how excited I am by the potential of these two incredible brands combining knowledge, technologies and values to create some truly special projects in the future.

And, well, so are we. Just imagine a super sports car, made with Bugatti’s expertise in design beauty and with Rimac’s high-performance tech. What a hypercar that would be!

But since we’ll have to wait for that, here are some images that will spark our dreams in the meantime.

We can't wait for their new vehicles!
Credit: Bugatti Rimac
Bugatti is contributing a tradition-rich brand and Rimac is offering new development approaches.
Let's see what the future holds
Credit: Bugatti Rimac
Rimac has progressed from a one-man startup to the major stakeholder of the Bugatti brand.

Do EVs excite your electrons? Do ebikes get your wheels spinning? Do self-driving cars get you all charged up? 

Then you need the weekly SHIFT newsletter in your life. Click here to sign up.

Get the TNW newsletter

Get the most important tech news in your inbox each week.

Also tagged with